The main hall has a newly refurbished, sprung dance floor and can be used with tables and chairs in it if you prefer. An LED, energy-efficient lighting system has been installed and can be directed towards the large stage or the dance floor.
A sound-mixing desk is available for public address and music. The bar is located in the sun lounge next to the hall and also has a small kitchen at the other end. Another meeting room is available which leads from the hall and the main kitchen.
The initial decision to have a hall built was taken in April 1945. Suitable land was acquired in 1949 but funds were insufficient for the start.
In 1954 the local company Cow and Gate made a generous covenant of £3000. A further £5750 was needed so the locals of Wincanton were canvassed for their help but at a public meeting it emerged that most did not want a hall but would rather have a swimming pool.
In 1957 the Charities Commission ruled that the original trust had been formed to have a hall built and this could not be changed to a swimming pool. Determination grew to get the hall built from this point and after a further two years building began.
The hall was opened on January 9th 1960 by the late Freddie Goodliffe who was the secretary of the Somerset Rural Community Council. After the opening there was a concert and in the evening a grand dance. In 1962 the lounge extension and the bar were added. The BBC used the hall in 1964 for the radio programme “Any Questions” and in 1975 the hall won a cup for the best-kept hall in the Yeovil Area.
A Memorial has been built in the grounds of the hall to remember those who served in the forces and those who have given their lives.